If you’re a so called millennial, then you probably don’t know who Suge Knight is. He is one of the most controversial figures in Hip Hop with a rise and fall story that reads like a gangster movie. Suge has managed to keep his name in the news via new run ins with the law or bold claims and statements. His latest legal drama comes in the form of murder with a $2 million price set for bail. At the time of this posting, Suge Knight has not posted bail which some say could be hard due to financial woes over the years. Suge may be controversial, but he is part of Hip Hop history, which itself is controversial. For those of you who aren’t aware of who this man is and why the news outlets are talking about him so much, here is what you need to know.
– Suge Knight’s real name is Marion Hugh Knight, Jr
– He was never drafted by the NFL but he once played two games for the L.A Rams as a replacement player during the 1987 NFL strike
– He got his start in the music business being bodyguard to the then red hot Bobby Brown
– In 1991 he and Dr. Dre founded and launched Death Row Records
– In 1992 the label released the now classic “The Chronic” album from Dr. Dre
– His company along with Sean “P.Diddy” Combs’ Bad Boy Entertainment were embroiled in a media driven “East Coast West Coast” feud
– He was driving the black BMW that rapper Tupac was killed in in Vegas. His head was grazed by a bullet
– It s believed he had certain factions of the LAPD in his back pocket and payroll
– Many believe he is behind or knows who is behind the death of rapper Biggie Smalls and even Tupac
– He is deeply associated with the notorious Los Angeles Bloods gang
– He was once the most feared man in Hip Hop.
– He once called out P.Diddy for always being in the music videos and albums of his artist at a Hip Hop awards show